MAKERbuino on-the-go upload

Hello, everyone!

So I’m getting a MAKERbuino… and I want to create something where you can download this installer to your PocketCHIP/portable Raspberry Pi/Linux handheld and mount your MAKERbuino to it, and then launch the menu and you can have a bunch of hand-curated games, right on your portable Linux computer to choose from and download to your MAKERbuino. It would all be local (except for updates), so you can do it on the go, without a laptop/desktop, and without the need for WiFi. What do you guys think? Do you have any suggestions?

I’d like to make this as user-friendly as possible. I already have a quick-and-dirty code sketch up on GitHub here. Keep in mind that I JUST started this today, and that snippet took me 5 minutes to make - it’s not the final thing. :slightly_smiling_face: But it does half work. (I don’t have a MAKERbuino to test it, though. Would someone be able to test for me? Please PM me if interested.)

Anyways - it is just an idea. What do you think?

The way you’ve described it(and from what I can tell from your snippet of code) makes it sound practically identical to the menu already implemented on the MAKERbuino itself(many games stored on the SD card that can be loaded up at will), would you mind elaborating a bit or am I correct and you simply did not know about the pre-existing system?

So basically, this is just a simpler (in my opinion) way of using the online games library. It would be a one-time install, so you don’t have to go to the games library every time you need a game and download the .HEX and the .INF file, then load it to the SD card. The administrator could push automatic updates to it monthly, weekly, or daily to update the list of games on the device that you can choose to upload to your MAKERbuino. This would just be (in my opinion) a smarter, and faster way to do the same thing.

And if you have a list of hand-curated games, well, that’s just better. :smile: Or, you could somehow use a program to track the most downloaded game off of the website to make a “top downloaded” list. That would be fun. Even if it isn’t just for a Linux handheld, it would work on any Unix computer as well. So if someone wants some recommended games to start out with, they could start up this application, and it would download the game for them and put it onto the MAKERbuino automatically.

What do you think? Do you think this is too much trouble for something not a lot of people would use?